– 2 pounds carrots, peeled
– 1 onion, large
– 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and sliced
– 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
– 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
– 4 cups chicken broth
– 2 cloves garlic, large, peeled and chopped
– 2 cups skim milk
In a saucepan, add ingredients excluding milk & nutmeg. Bring to a boil & then reduce heat and cook until carrots are tender approximately 25-30 min. Puree in the food processor. Return purée to a saucepan over low heat. Stir in milk. Serve warm & garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 4 pints chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 pint single cream
- 3 egg yolks
- salt and pepper
- lemon juice
- flaked almonds toasted for decoration
– Put the almonds and stock into a pan and mix thoroughly.
– Bring to the boil stirring all the time.
– Add the bay leaves and allow to simmer for 40 minutes.
– Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
– Discard the bay leaves and blend the soup in an electric blender.
– Put the soup into a clean saucepan and reheat.
– Put the egg yolks and cream into a basin and blend together.
– Pour a little of the soup into the egg mixture and stir.
– Stir this into the soup in the saucepan and heat very gently stirring all the time until the soup has thickened.
– Do not let the soup boil as it will curdle.
– Remove from the heat and season with the salt, pepper and lemon juice.
– Serve topped with the toasted almonds.